If you don't see images in this message, click "Display Images" or the equivalent.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Receive this as a forward? Get the Nooner in your e-mail box.
To be removed from The Nooner list, click here.
Become a Nooner Premium subscriber (or below buttons for Square) to access enhanced legislative profiles, exclusive election analysis, and downloadable back-end data. | Follow @scottlay
Advertise in The Nooner to reach over 8,000 readers
- Political Breakdown (Scott Shafer and Marisa Lagos @ KQED): Dr. Mitchell Katz, head of New York City's public hospitals, on the coronavirus outbreak in New York City, the health system's greatest need, and what is necessary to restart the economy. (2020-04-09)
- SacTown Talks (Gibran Maciel): State Senator Bill Dodd (2020-04-03)
- Then There's California (Senate Democratic Caucus): State Senator Bill Dodd and CA Dept. of Health Director (Emeritus), Dr. Karen Smith, MD, discuss the medical, statistical and personal impact of life in California during a pandemic, and how following the advice of health care professionals during this time, can save lives. (2020-04-01)
The Nooner for Saturday, April 12, 2020, presented by SYASL Partners
- COVID-19 #s
- Dept of Corrections
- Ballot update
- Cakedays and Classifieds
- California hospitalizations confirmed/suspected: 2,897/2,339 (yesterday: 2,846/2,221, day before: 2,825/2,803) [CDPH]
- California ICU admissions confirmed/suspected: 1,145/446 (yesterday: 1,145/420, day before: 1,154/522) [CDPH]
- California fatalities: 630 confirmed (+5.7% from yesterday, previous day's change was 8.2%) (SFChron)
- I've stopped including "cases" in this space as testing has become more widespread. Reporting on the daily percentage change now doesn't seem relevant as opposed to the above health indicators.
¡Buenos dias mis amigos!
I may be short this morning as I will be heading to farmers market at 8am. I'll likely make two trips to the market for my own shopping and that of a friend who is even more high risk for the virus. Clearly, my hair is not short since my March 16 appointment was canceled. Since Boris has been discharged from the hospital, we can return to comparing our locks to his. "Dude, I could be PM of Britain."
Meanwhile, Queen Elizabeth II dropped the mic last week. For those of us who have said WTF for decades about the very strange governance system that many of us trace roots to, we were like "Okay, you got this" last week. As cray-cray as our politics are, we're essentially a system on valium compared to elsewhere. I was never a good student in international relations and foreign policy (and languages!) and I regret that. That said, it is all playing out right now on our teevees.
The numbers look good but are still heartbreaking.
DEPT OF CORRECTIONS: I errantly said yesterday that the Los Angeles Community College District had switched from at large to by-district elections. They are still at large.
- Ballots counted: 9,653,077
- Ballots counted are up +12.9% from 8,548,301 in 2016
- Turnout in 2016: 8,548,301 of 19,023,417 registered 15 days out (44.94%)
- Turnout so far in 2020: 9,653,077 of 20,660,465 registered 15 days out (46.72%)
cakeday and classifieds after the jump...
CAKEDAY: Happy birthday to Suzanne Jiminez, Senator Henry Stern, and Amy Tan!
Add your classified now both in The Nooner and online
for $50/week or $150/month by emailing
firstname.lastname@example.org, with a headline, a summary of up to 200 words, and what you'd like the end date to be. You can attach a PDF or provide a link for a bigger job description/info to apply. [Other advertising options]
REMOTE PART-TIME POSITION- Communications & Development Manager, Close the Gap California
Close the Gap California (CTGCA) seeks a highly motivated Manager to work across Communications, Development and Operations functions to support and promote the campaign. This is a mid-level, part-time contract position
with potential for growth into a full-time staff position. CTGCA is a statewide campaign launched in 2013 to close the gender gap in the California Legislature by 2028. By recruiting accomplished, progressive women in targeted districts and preparing them to launch competitive campaigns, we are changing the face of the Legislature one cycle at a time. Nine CTGCA recruits are serving today, eight of them women of color. This position will execute and help design our communications strategy, manage programmatic elements, and oversee some campaign operations. Seeking a manager who has demonstrated writing ability, facility for data, and a passion for advancing women in politics. 20-30 hrs/week contract to start, reporting directly to Executive Director. Remote from anywhere in California with preference for Sacramento, Bay Area or Los Angeles.
[Full description and application info
OPEN POSITION: Public Affairs & Community Engagement Rep – California School Boards Association
(4 New positions) Serve as CSBA’s liaison to local schools and county boards of education, key decision makers, and the community-at-large. Execute grassroots strategies designed to build relationships with, train, and mobilize local school board members and communities to advance CSBA’s legislative and statewide ballot measure advocacy priorities. Coordinates and executes fundraising events. Remote positions based in the following locations: North LA/Ventura, South San Joaquin, SF Bay Area, and North Coast. Salary based on experience.
Please apply at: https://www.csba.org/About/Careers
The McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific
In addition to a well-respected JD, the McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, offers the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and the Master of Public Policy (MPP) degrees. Both full-time students and those earning a professional degree while working succeed in the program. Our focus on the interconnections of law, policy, management, and leadership provides unique competencies for your success. Students gain a foundation in statutory interpretation and regulatory processes critical to governance. Learn at a beautiful campus three miles from the State Capitol:
Political Data Inc.
For 30 Years PDI has been California’s premier data vendor. Now, you can get live online trainings on the newest PDI software every week: