If you don't see images in this message, click "Display Images" or the equivalent.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Receive this as a forward? Get the Nooner in your e-mail box
Become a Nooner Premium subscriber to access exclusive election analysis and back end data. | Follow @scottlay
Advertise in The Nooner to reach over 8,000 readers
REMINDER: My firstname.lastname@example.org email address is still in DNS hell. email@example.com (where that other email usually goes anyway) is working just fine.
- CA48 (Huntington Beach): changed from Leans Republican to Toss-up (close call, as combined GOP ballots are 12,700 over combined Dem ballots)
UNPROCESSED BALLOT STATUS:
- Vote-by-mail: 694,231
- Provisional: 310,119
- Conditional voter registration: 10,693
- Total: 1,052,941
Take these numbers lightly. Five counties report completed their counts. Thirty-eight counties other counties haven't updated their unprocessed ballot reports since last week, although their updates of actual vote counts in races are reflected on the Secretary of State's site. Only four counties had updates yesterday.
AURAL PLEASURE: On the California Politics Podcast, John Myers talk the budget, the new proposed sexual harassment procedure, and the proposal to divide the state in three.
SPORTS PAGE: Dodgers grabbed game one 3-2. The two runs for the Giants were off a home run by Panda, whose bat has been pretty hot lately. Today's game is at 5:15pm on FOX. Angels @ A's is at 1:05pm on NBCSBA. In the World Cup, at this hour, Croatia and Nigeria take to the pitch. Tomorrow morning at 8am, Mexico faces Germany.
SD32 (Whittier): The Secretary of State has issued the final results in the primary special election for the seat formerly held by Tony Mendoza:
- Rita Topalian (Republican): 29,110 (25.0%)
- Vanessa Delgado (Democrat): 18,885 (16.2%)
- All other Democrats: 49.5%
- All other Republicans: 9.2%
The special general is August 7.
In the regular top-two for the November election, Bob Archuleta (D) still is #2 and is 1.7% above Delgado. There were a couple of differences in candidates running in only one of the two June 5 elections for the district. Anyway, if Delgado wins the special general on August 7 and Archuleta wins in November, Delgado would only serve three weeks since the final recess begins on August 31.
RENT CONTROL: Also from the Secretary of State, we have word that the initiative to expand the ability of local governments to enact rent control notwithstanding the Costa-Hawkins Act has qualified for November. It is the fifth measure to qualify for November.
BUDGET: Whoops! I screwed up in reading the votes this morning. Assemblymember Brian Maienschein (R-San Diego) also voted for the "budget bill in-chief."
- Education: Pepperdine Masters of Public Policy (GRE waived for legislative staffers)
- Education: UOP/McGeorge School of Law: MPP/MPA (full-time or part-time, 3 miles from the Capitol)
- Job: Cargill Director of Governmental Relations (Newark-Bay Area)
- Job: Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager
- Job: Randle Communications
- Job: The California Dental Association seeks full-time Associate Legislative Advocate
- Job: Probolsky Research - Research Analyst - Public Opinion (Orange County)
- Job: SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
- Job: SEIU-UHW -- Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
- Training: PDI (Political Data Inc.): weekly online trainings of various skill levels
DEATH WITH DIGNITY: The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal in Riverside put a stay on the district court's ruling that struck down California's assisted-suicide law, thus restoring the law's effectiveness. Opponents of the law have until July 2 to appeal it, reports the Chron's Bob Egelko.
TARIFFS AND TRADE: In Politico, Steven Overly reports that Silicon Valley tech trade groups are cautioning the announced tariffs on China by the Trump Administration on “industrially significant" technologies would hurt the members of the trade groups, which include Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google and many more. While president Trump said it was targeted at "aerospace, robotics and automobiles," it would also include LED screens, are on the Administration's tariff list. China has responded in kind, so Silicon Valley would be hit on both ends. Apple and Google in particular see a huge market for their products in China.
Meanwhile, for McClatchy, Emily Cadei reports that while the current year almond crop is spoken for, next year's crop will be sold (in advance) in mid-October, which could cause political problems for targeted Central Valley Republicans. Almonds are California's largest agriculture export at $4.5 billion in 2016. Wine is second at $1.5 billion.
Pistachios are also growing in popularity in China, which is why you're seeing so many new orchards being planted through the valley. They currently had $1.15 billion in 2016, fifth place behind dairy and products and walnuts.
RED-TO-BLUE: The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee ("D-Trip") has added four California candidates to its "red-to-blue" targets for funding in competitive races:
- CA10 (Stanislaus/Denham): Josh Harder
- CA25 (Santa Clarita/Antelope Valley/Knight): Katie Hill
- CA45 (Irvine/Walters): Katie Porter
- CA49 (Oceanside/Open-Issa): Mike Levin
#CAKEDAY: Happy birthday to Carson Eades and Jim Hottois!
DEPT OF CORRECTIONS: Bourdain and Obama did not have phở in Hanoi but rather bún chả!
- The McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, in Sacramento offers the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and the Master of Public Policy (MPP) degrees to both full-time students and those earning a professional degree while working. Our focus on the interconnections of law, policy, management, and leadership provides unique competencies for your success. Students gain a deep understanding of statutory interpretation and regulatory processes critical to modern governance. Learn more at go.mcgeorge.edu/publicpolicy or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cal State Student Association seeks Legislative Policy Analyst
The position is responsible for researching and analyzing legislative policy issues. Additionally, the position will be responsible for externally representing the organization in legislative meetings and committees. Lastly, the position will be responsible for advising our board of directors and legislative affairs committee. For more information and to apply, visit http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://apptrkr.com/1226018
Finance & Operations Manager
California YIMBY is looking for an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Finance & Operations Manager to manage day-to-day finances and operations, act as internal authority on grant requirements, and create and track annual budget. Reports directly to the CEO. $65,000-$85,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/finopsmanager for details.
California YIMBY is seeking an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Digital Director to create digital program to tell story of CA's housing crisis. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/digdirector for details.
California YIMBY is seeking a motivated, tenacious, creative individual to serve as the Organizing Director to conceive large scale organizing strategy and develop, write and implement a comprehensive strategic organizing plan. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. cayim.by/orgdirector for details.
- Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager to work across multiple teams providing management, coordination, and support needed to execute programs and initiatives. Ideal candidate is a self-starter, good writer, client service oriented, has an eye for detail, and believes in California’s local health plans’ mission. Salary BOE. Details.
Imprenta Communications Group Seeks Account Coordinator to Join Our Sacramento Office. Successful candidate will have 1-3 years previous experience working at a public relations agency, on political campaigns, political staff, or corporate marketing. The ideal candidate is a hard-working, professional, and dedicated individual seeking to empower communities of color. Spanish or Asian language fluency preferred. Full job description can be viewed here. Submit resume and cover letter to Ken Tiratira at email@example.com for consideration.
GRE waived for qualifying government & legislative staffers to apply to the Pepperdine School of Public Policy’s Master of Public Policy program, considered the most unique policy graduate program in the country. Specialization tracks, including State & Local Policy, allow students to personalize their policy studies. Current State & Local Policy courses include, “Advanced Topics in Politics and Budgeting,” “Public Policy for Criminal Justice, Cannabis, and other Drugs,” “Permissions Development and the Environment,” and “Leadership through Public Engagement.” Find out more about this Top 10 in the West/Top 5 in California MPP program located in Malibu: publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/masters-6
- SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
This position is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our infrastructure and engage our members to be a powerful force at their worksites, in the legislative process, in the community and at the ballot box. Proven track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com/.
SEIU-UHW – Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
This position is responsible for working in close collaboration with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for members participation in all areas of the political program and hard dollar fundraising. Also provides staff support to our Political Action Advisory Committee, in collaboration with representational staff. Candidate will train and mentor COPE chairs and member activists to help them achieve political goals. Proven fundraising track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com.
Add your classified for $40/week.TOP HEADLINES ON AROUNDTHECAPITOL.COM AS OF 12:00PM