If you don't see images in this message, click "Display Images" or the equivalent.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Receive this as a forward? Get the Nooner in your e-mail box
Become a Nooner Premium subscriber to access exclusive election analysis and back end data. | Follow @scottlay
Advertise in The Nooner to reach over 8,000 readers
REMINDER: My firstname.lastname@example.org email address is still in DNS hell. email@example.com (where that other email usually goes anyway) is working just fine.
VOTE RETURNS BY PDI:
- Mailed: 11,594,699
- Returned: 2,138,706
- Democrats: 960,860
- Republicans: 718,990
- No Party Preference: 371,885
- Other parties: 86,971
By ethnic designation (mailed/returned):
- African-American: 330,916/55,581
- Asian: 1,121,522/227,205
- Latino: 2,299,782/282,492
Happy Monday! Quiet time in the Capitol with only the budget to finalize, and this is an easy year. Meanwhile, of course tomorrow is Election Day, although it's really election month.
- Ballots can be mailed and received up to three days after election day and still be counted.
- Ballots can be dropped off at any polling place or the county registrar.
- If you did not register (or re-register in a county after a move from another county), you can "conditionally register" at the county registrar or satellite locations listed here.
I don't endorse or contribute these days, but I'll make an exception for a law school classmate. In Los Angeles County, Sarah Heidel should be retained as a Superior Court judge. One thing about law school--you learn that you're not as smart as others. Heidel is much smarter than me and we're fortunate to have her on the bench.
On a sad note, 50 years ago, Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles shortly after midnight after winning the California primary. Sirhan, a Jordanian refugee, specifically called out June 5, 1968 as "[t]he date was the first anniversary of the Six-Day War fought between Israel and its neighbors Egypt, Syria and Jordan," reports Colleen Shalby at the Times. This picture in the Times of busbuy Juan Romero comforting Kennedy taken by an off-duty LA Times reporter is just heartbreaking.
Kennedy was likely the next president, and instead, Californian Richard Nixon was elected over Hubert Humphrey (Democratic) and George Wallace (American Independent). Lyndon Johnson famously was exhausted over Vietnam and didn't run for re-election.
The legendary Ambassador Hotel was demolished in 2005 and is now the site of Los Angeles Unified's Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools.
Here's a great article by Sherry Bebitch Jeffe and Doug Jeffe on the Kennedy investigation.
Frankly, 1968 sucked. MLK and RFK within two months. Of course, I wasn't alive, but I honestlly don't know how I would handle that now. Meanwhile, we lost around 200,000 in the fight (both sides) over Vietnam.
Obviously, I was not alive, but it was probably the biggest political year since FDR's reign.
CHURCH AND STATE: Both Gavin Newsom and Antonio Villaraigosa spent yesterday campaigning at south Los Angeles churches. Whoops, they weren't campaigning--they were worshiping and sharing their thoughts with the congregations.
U.S. SENATE: Joel Fox looks at the missed opportunity for Republicans to have a significant candidate in the race against U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein. As he writes, a candidate would have a small chance, but it would be an opportunity for name recognition and to promote GOP turnout.
As I've written before, some of the obvious possibilities are State Senators Ted Gaines, John Moorlach and Mike Morell--all of whom are not up for election this year. As we saw yesterday with Arnold Schwarzenegger shunning the Republicans running for governor, the GOP brand is in deep trouble on a statewide basis. This includes former Republican Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner running for his old job as No Party Preference. Of course, no NPP candidate has ever won statewide (setting aside the nonpartisan Supt of Public Instruction, but that's been held be registered Democrats
- Education: Pepperdine Masters of Public Policy (GRE waived for legislative staffers)
- Education: UOP/McGeorge School of Law: MPP/MPA (full-time or part-time, 3 miles from the Capitol)
- Education: Capitol Seminars - learn how to lobby effectively
- Job: Attorney General's Office is seeking a subject matter expert (advocate)
- Job: Cargill Director of Governmental Relations (Newark-Bay Area)
- Job: Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager
- Job: Randle Communications
- Job: The California Dental Association seeks full-time Associate Legislative Advocate
- Job: Probolsky Research - Research Analyst - Public Opinion (Orange County)
- Job: SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
- Job: SEIU-UHW -- Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
- Training: PDI (Political Data Inc.): weekly online trainings of various skill levels
AWESOME SAUCE: Sacramento City firefighters rescue a trapped kitten on 9th Street.
#CAKEDAY: Happy birthday to Heidi Hall, Douglas Ricketson, and Rebecca Suter!
DEPT OF CORRECTIONS: As I was writing yesterday, I questioned myself when I wrote that Los Angeles and San Francisco are California's two larget cities. I knew that wasn't right and didn't take time to fact check. Los Angeles is the largest, then San Diego, then San Jose, then San Francisco. [h/t Alex Vassar]
- CCST Expert Briefing on California Biomethane Specifications: Thursday, June 7th, 12:30pm-1:30pm in Capitol Room 437. Join us for a briefing with the authors of the newly released CCST report, “Biomethane in California Common Carrier Pipelines: Assessing Heating Value and Maximum Siloxane Specifications,” commissioned by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) pursuant to SB 840 (2016). Panelists will discuss the findings and recommendations from their independent assessment of California’s standards for pipeline injection of biomethane. To receive a to-go lunch box following the briefing, RSVP by Noon on June 6th to Mikel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Former Los Angeles County Supervisors Zev Yaroslavsky and Yvonne Burke discuss the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in this exclusive interview: https://vimeo.com/270776096
- WE CAN HELP MAKE YOUR LOBBYING EFFORTS MORE EFFECTIVE. Numerous nonprofits and private sector organizations, lobbying firms, trade associations and government entities consider Capitol Seminars their No.1 training resource -- for new lobbyists, support staff, executives who hire and manage lobbyists. Conducted by 43-year Capitol veteran Ray LeBov, our Lobbying 101 & 201 seminars offer you comprehensive coverage of the Legislative process, along with best practices for Legislative, Budget, and Regulatory Agency advocacy, Lobbying the Administration, and Media Strategies. You’ll refer to the extensive curriculum materials long after the seminars are over. Next dates: June 7-8, July 26-27, October 4-5. More information / registration: www.capitolseminars.net or 916-442-5009.
- The McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, in Sacramento offers the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and the Master of Public Policy (MPP) degrees to both full-time students and those earning a professional degree while working. Our focus on the interconnections of law, policy, management, and leadership provides unique competencies for your success. Students gain a deep understanding of statutory interpretation and regulatory processes critical to modern governance. Learn more at go.mcgeorge.edu/publicpolicy or contact us at email@example.com.
Cal State Student Association seeks Legislative Policy Analyst
The position is responsible for researching and analyzing legislative policy issues. Additionally, the position will be responsible for externally representing the organization in legislative meetings and committees. Lastly, the position will be responsible for advising our board of directors and legislative affairs committee. For more information and to apply, visit http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://apptrkr.com/1226018
Finance & Operations Manager
California YIMBY is looking for an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Finance & Operations Manager to manage day-to-day finances and operations, act as internal authority on grant requirements, and create and track annual budget. Reports directly to the CEO. $65,000-$85,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/finopsmanager for details.
California YIMBY is seeking an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Digital Director to create digital program to tell story of CA's housing crisis. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/digdirector for details.
California YIMBY is seeking a motivated, tenacious, creative individual to serve as the Organizing Director to conceive large scale organizing strategy and develop, write and implement a comprehensive strategic organizing plan. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. cayim.by/orgdirector for details.
- Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager to work across multiple teams providing management, coordination, and support needed to execute programs and initiatives. Ideal candidate is a self-starter, good writer, client service oriented, has an eye for detail, and believes in California’s local health plans’ mission. Salary BOE. Details.
Imprenta Communications Group Seeks Account Coordinator to Join Our Sacramento Office. Successful candidate will have 1-3 years previous experience working at a public relations agency, on political campaigns, political staff, or corporate marketing. The ideal candidate is a hard-working, professional, and dedicated individual seeking to empower communities of color. Spanish or Asian language fluency preferred. Full job description can be viewed here. Submit resume and cover letter to Ken Tiratira at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
- Randle Communications is seeking a highly-motivated communications professional to support the firm’s growing public affairs practice. Ideal candidate has three – five years legislative/campaign experience, strong communication skills, is detail-oriented and a self-starter. Salary BOE. E-mail resume, references, cover letter: email@example.com
- GRE waived for qualifying government & legislative staffers to apply to the Pepperdine School of Public Policy’s Master of Public Policy program, considered the most unique policy graduate program in the country. Specialization tracks, including State & Local Policy, allow students to personalize their policy studies. Current State & Local Policy courses include, “Advanced Topics in Politics and Budgeting,” “Public Policy for Criminal Justice, Cannabis, and other Drugs,” “Permissions Development and the Environment,” and “Leadership through Public Engagement.” Find out more about this Top 10 in the West/Top 5 in California MPP program located in Malibu: publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/masters-6
- SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
This position is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our infrastructure and engage our members to be a powerful force at their worksites, in the legislative process, in the community and at the ballot box. Proven track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com/.
SEIU-UHW – Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
This position is responsible for working in close collaboration with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for members participation in all areas of the political program and hard dollar fundraising. Also provides staff support to our Political Action Advisory Committee, in collaboration with representational staff. Candidate will train and mentor COPE chairs and member activists to help them achieve political goals. Proven fundraising track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com.
Add your classified for $40/week.TOP HEADLINES ON AROUNDTHECAPITOL.COM AS OF 12:00PM