If you don't see images in this message, click "Display Images" or the equivalent.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Receive this as a forward? Get the Nooner in your e-mail box
Become a Nooner Premium subscriber to access exclusive election analysis and back end data. | Follow @scottlay
Advertise in The Nooner to reach over 8,000 readers
REMINDER: My firstname.lastname@example.org email address is still in DNS hell. email@example.com (where that other email usually goes anyway) is working just fine.
It's Friday! You made it! And a beautiful Friday it is. Beautiful day today, but it's going to be a hot weekend.
Stop! I wrote yesterday about the lack of campaign ads. And now my ears are bleeding.
Today is the last day before retirement for a quiet soldier in Capitol-area news coverage, Capitol Weekly/Open California's accounting manager Kathy Brown. I serve as vice president of Open California's board, and it's been a real pleasure to work with Kathy over the years as we transitioned from a private business of Capitol Weekly to the non-profit Open California as part of the overall transformation in journalism. Give thanks for Kathy's great service with a tax-deductible contribution to support Open California's work to cover California politics and policy.
Interesting filing: A "James Carville" registered to lobby for American Funds Group yesterday.
VOTE RETURNS BY PDI:
- Mailed: 11,594,699
- Returned: 1,843,904
- Democrats: 825,471
- Republicans: 623,651
- No Party Preference: 318,515
- Other parties: 76,267
POLL POSITION: A continuation release from the Berkeley IGS poll with today on the U.S. Senate race:
- James P. Bradley (R): 7%
- Kevin de León (D): 11%
- Dianne Feinstein (D): 36%
- Paul A. Taylor (R): 4%
- Other Democratic candidates: 6%
- Other Republican candidates: 9%
- All other candidates: 2%
- Undecided: 25%
[n=2,106 likely voters; English/Spanish; online via email invite from voter rolls; May 22-28; +/- 3.5%]
KDL certainly has a shot to be in the mix in November, but it's going to be a difficult challenge to defeat California's iron lady. Despite what my friend Gavin is saying, a Feinstein-de León general would be great for Democrats. Feinstein will win, but de León on the ballot will help Latino turnout in an otherwise blah election.
- Education: Pepperdine Masters of Public Policy (GRE waived for legislative staffers)
- Education: UOP/McGeorge School of Law: MPP/MPA (full-time or part-time, 3 miles from the Capitol)
- Education: Capitol Seminars - learn how to lobby effectively
- Job: Attorney General's Office is seeking a subject matter expert (advocate)
- Job: Cargill Director of Governmental Relations (Newark-Bay Area)
- Job: Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager
- Job: Randle Communications
- Job: The California Dental Association seeks full-time Associate Legislative Advocate
- Job: Probolsky Research - Research Analyst - Public Opinion (Orange County)
- Job: SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
- Job: SEIU-UHW -- Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
- Training: PDI (Political Data Inc.): weekly online trainings of various skill levels
#CAKEDAY: Happy birthday to Johnny Alvarado, Justin McCarthy, and Shannan Velayes Matrinez (aka Shan-Shan)!
Shannan and I go way back to our era as community college statewide student advocates. If my memory is correct, she was Paul Mitchell's vice president when he was president the year after I transferred to Davis. Paul's Policy Director (the role I had held) was Dustin Corcoran, now the CEO of the California Medical Association. Dustin replaced me for my 1L year at the Community College League in the lobbying/policy role. Paul was there running CMA's political action committee.
Yesterday, I congratulated Jodi Hicks on her appointment as a national co-chair of Mercury Public Affairs. I first met Jodi when she was the volunteer coordinator for Christropher Cabaldon's first campaign for the State Assembly. That's where she met Paul, who was assisting Christopher with data (so rudimentary at that time), and Jodi and Paul now have a beautiful family as anyone with Twitter can attest.
I first met Cabaldon when he was chief consultant of Assembly Higher Education under chair Marguerite Archie-Hudson. He then went on to be chief consultant to Assembly Appropriations and then Vice Chancellor of Government Relations at the California Community Colleges.
Yeah, it's a very small world. And, why the "white guys from Orange County" were offen a label placed on us, I couldn't be prouder of Shannan, Christopher and Jodi for their strong and diverse leadsehip.
- CCST Expert Briefing on California Biomethane Specifications: Thursday, June 7th, 12:30pm-1:30pm in Capitol Room 437. Join us for a briefing with the authors of the newly released CCST report, “Biomethane in California Common Carrier Pipelines: Assessing Heating Value and Maximum Siloxane Specifications,” commissioned by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) pursuant to SB 840 (2016). Panelists will discuss the findings and recommendations from their independent assessment of California’s standards for pipeline injection of biomethane. To receive a to-go lunch box following the briefing, RSVP by Noon on June 6th to Mikel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Former Los Angeles County Supervisors Zev Yaroslavsky and Yvonne Burke discuss the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in this exclusive interview: https://vimeo.com/270776096
- WE CAN HELP MAKE YOUR LOBBYING EFFORTS MORE EFFECTIVE. Numerous nonprofits and private sector organizations, lobbying firms, trade associations and government entities consider Capitol Seminars their No.1 training resource -- for new lobbyists, support staff, executives who hire and manage lobbyists. Conducted by 43-year Capitol veteran Ray LeBov, our Lobbying 101 & 201 seminars offer you comprehensive coverage of the Legislative process, along with best practices for Legislative, Budget, and Regulatory Agency advocacy, Lobbying the Administration, and Media Strategies. You’ll refer to the extensive curriculum materials long after the seminars are over. Next dates: June 7-8, July 26-27, October 4-5. More information / registration: www.capitolseminars.net or 916-442-5009.
- The McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, in Sacramento offers the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and the Master of Public Policy (MPP) degrees to both full-time students and those earning a professional degree while working. Our focus on the interconnections of law, policy, management, and leadership provides unique competencies for your success. Students gain a deep understanding of statutory interpretation and regulatory processes critical to modern governance. Learn more at go.mcgeorge.edu/publicpolicy or contact us at email@example.com.
Cal State Student Association seeks Legislative Policy Analyst
The position is responsible for researching and analyzing legislative policy issues. Additionally, the position will be responsible for externally representing the organization in legislative meetings and committees. Lastly, the position will be responsible for advising our board of directors and legislative affairs committee. For more information and to apply, visit http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://apptrkr.com/1226018
Finance & Operations Manager
California YIMBY is looking for an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Finance & Operations Manager to manage day-to-day finances and operations, act as internal authority on grant requirements, and create and track annual budget. Reports directly to the CEO. $65,000-$85,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/finopsmanager for details.
California YIMBY is seeking an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Digital Director to create digital program to tell story of CA's housing crisis. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/digdirector for details.
California YIMBY is seeking a motivated, tenacious, creative individual to serve as the Organizing Director to conceive large scale organizing strategy and develop, write and implement a comprehensive strategic organizing plan. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. cayim.by/orgdirector for details.
- Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager to work across multiple teams providing management, coordination, and support needed to execute programs and initiatives. Ideal candidate is a self-starter, good writer, client service oriented, has an eye for detail, and believes in California’s local health plans’ mission. Salary BOE. Details.
Imprenta Communications Group Seeks Account Coordinator to Join Our Sacramento Office. Successful candidate will have 1-3 years previous experience working at a public relations agency, on political campaigns, political staff, or corporate marketing. The ideal candidate is a hard-working, professional, and dedicated individual seeking to empower communities of color. Spanish or Asian language fluency preferred. Full job description can be viewed here. Submit resume and cover letter to Ken Tiratira at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
- Randle Communications is seeking a highly-motivated communications professional to support the firm’s growing public affairs practice. Ideal candidate has three – five years legislative/campaign experience, strong communication skills, is detail-oriented and a self-starter. Salary BOE. E-mail resume, references, cover letter: email@example.com
- GRE waived for qualifying government & legislative staffers to apply to the Pepperdine School of Public Policy’s Master of Public Policy program, considered the most unique policy graduate program in the country. Specialization tracks, including State & Local Policy, allow students to personalize their policy studies. Current State & Local Policy courses include, “Advanced Topics in Politics and Budgeting,” “Public Policy for Criminal Justice, Cannabis, and other Drugs,” “Permissions Development and the Environment,” and “Leadership through Public Engagement.” Find out more about this Top 10 in the West/Top 5 in California MPP program located in Malibu: publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/masters-6
- SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
This position is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our infrastructure and engage our members to be a powerful force at their worksites, in the legislative process, in the community and at the ballot box. Proven track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com/.
SEIU-UHW – Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
This position is responsible for working in close collaboration with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for members participation in all areas of the political program and hard dollar fundraising. Also provides staff support to our Political Action Advisory Committee, in collaboration with representational staff. Candidate will train and mentor COPE chairs and member activists to help them achieve political goals. Proven fundraising track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com.
Add your classified for $40/week.TOP HEADLINES ON AROUNDTHECAPITOL.COM AS OF 12:00PM