If you don't see images in this message, click "Display Images" or the equivalent.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Receive this as a forward? Get the Nooner in your e-mail box
Become a Nooner Premium subscriber to access exclusive election analysis and back end data. | Follow @scottlay
Advertise in The Nooner to reach over 8,000 readers
REMINDER: My email@example.com email address is still in DNS hell. firstname.lastname@example.org (where that other email usually goes anyway) is working just fine.
From PDI (as reported by counties at the end of the day yesterday--district results with demographics here):
BALLOTS MAILED: 11,547,095
BALLOTS RETURNED: 1,234,665
Statewide: Dems: 545,615/Reps: 415,027/NPP: 219,654/Others: 54,369
Of course, the numbers didn't change yesterday becaus of the holiday.
Here's a look at returned ballots in the most competitive congressional races:
- CA10 (Denham - Stanislaus): Dems: 10,432/Reps: 9,892/NPP: 2,734/Other: 996
- CA21 (Valadao - Kings): Dems: 7,481/Reps: 5,668/ NPP: 2,419/Other: 629
- CA25 (Knight - Santa Clarita/Antelope): Dems: 6,692/Reps: 7,910/NPP: 2,753/Other: 863
- CA39 (Open/Royce - Fullerton): Dems: 6,235/Reps: 8,471/NPP: 3,133/Other: 573
- CA45 (Walters - Irvine): Dems: 7,845/Reps: 11,802/NPP: 4,345/Other: 807
- CA48 (Rohrabacher - Huntington Beach): Dems: 9,683/Reps: 12,713/NPP: 4,387/Other: 892
- CA49 (Open/Issa - Oceanside): Dems: 16,556/Reps: 17,376/NPP: 9,265/Other: 2,348
Of course, be cautious is drawing too many conclusions. A big question is what suburban Republican and independent do. In Virginia's statehouse elections last year, there were lots of surprises, but the political climate in the generic congressional ballot have become more favorable for the GOP since then. Only in CA45 and CA49 is there likely to be Republican women on the November ballot, although it's not looking good for Democratic women either.
Happy Tuesday! Yesterday's Nooner said "Sunday" in the subject line, but there was a new Nooner yesterday. Congratulations to the Golden State Warriors! Fourth straight finals of Cavs v. Warriors starts Thursday at 6:00 pm PDT.
Congratulations to Jodi Hicks, a former partner at the lobbying firm DiMare, Brown, Hicks, and Kessler, who has been named a national co-chair of Mercury Public Affairs!
JAVA ALERT: Today is the day that Starbucks is closing early for mandatory anti-bias training. For those that want to get your iced mocha on this hot day, the downtown Sac ones are mostly closing between 2:15-2:30 and reopening tomorrow. Find store hours here. I'm not a big Starbucks fan, but I saw the excitement among Capitol folks around the opening of the new one at 10th/L.
POLL POSITION: A new poll on governor and U.S. Senate Races from Emerson University wa released yesterday:
- Travis Allen (R): 11%
- John Chiang (D): 10%
- John Cox (R): 16%
- Delaine Eastin (D): 4%
- Gavin Newsom (D): 24%
- Antonio Villaraigosa (D): 12%
- Undecided: 19%
- Someone else: 4%
- Erin Cruz (R): 5%
- Rocky de la Fuente (R): 4%
- Kevin de León (D): 6%
- Dianne Feinstein (D): 38%
- Pat Harris (D): 6%
- Allison Hartson (D): 4%
- Undecided: 32%
- Someone else: 6%
[n=600 likely voters, May 21-24, MOE +/- 4.2%]
Speaking of polling, Sherry Bebitch and Doug Jeffe write "For a number of reasons, polling has become less reliable in predicting electoral outcomes. The avalanche of telemarketing calls, the growth in cell phone use and the public’s general disgust with politics have made it much more difficult to get people to respond to pollsters and to sit still for an in-depth interview—let alone open their front door to an unfamiliar interviewer. Automated phone polls have a mixed track record."
GOV: In the Bee, Alexei Koseff sorts through the 27 candidates for governor.
GOV: President Trump yesterday tweeted "California has a rare opportunity to turn things around and solve its high crime, high tax, problems - along with so many others. On June 5th., vote for GOP Gubernatorial Candidate JOHN COX, a really good and highly competent man. He’ll Make California Great Again!"
Travis Allen responded by tweeting "Cox is a Never Trumper. I think @realDonaldTrump was misled by the establishment in Washington, DC. I fully expect my phone to be ringing on June 6, and I expect Trump to say 'We made a mistake but now we're fully on board, LET'S GO TAKE BACK CALIFORNIA'"
Gavin Newsom tweeted "California is already great. We have stood tall against the hate-filled, ignorant agenda that you and have pushed -- and we will do so again on June 5th."
Seema Mehta in the Times reports that Cox has launched a new TV ad featuring the endorsement as he tries to capture undecided voters to create more distance from Antonio Villaraigosa.
GOV: John Cox added $200,000 to his gubernatorial campaign today.
The main independent spender against her is a State Building and Construction Trades, which is largely believed to be motivated by her opposition to refinery expansion. $365,000 has been spent by the committee.
TAXES: For CALmatters, Dan Morain looks at what the June 5 election would mean on taxes.
BAGHDAD BY THE BAY: In The Atlantic, Russell Berman writes about the unique arrangement between SF mayoral candidates Supervisor Jane Kim and former State Senator Mark Leno where the endorsed each other and are saying "vote for both of us." They are considered the most liberal viable candidates. Voters can choose up to three candidates under the city and county's ranked-choice voting system.
SCOTUS: No decisions were handed down on the most controversial cases this morning, including Janus. Four more decision days on the Mondays in June.
- Education: Pepperdine Masters of Public Policy (GRE waived for legislative staffers)
- Education: UOP/McGeorge School of Law: MPP/MPA (full-time or part-time, 3 miles from the Capitol)
- Education: Capitol Seminars - learn how to lobby effectively
- Event: California Council on Science and Technology policy briefing
- Job: Attorney General's Office is seeking a subject matter expert (advocate)
- Job: Cargill Director of Governmental Relations (Newark-Bay Area)
- Job: Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager
- Job: Randle Communications
- Job: The California Dental Association seeks full-time Associate Legislative Advocate
- Job: Probolsky Research - Research Analyst - Public Opinion (Orange County)
- Job: Save the Bay Political Director
- Job: SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
- Job: SEIU-UHW -- Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
- Job: CA School Boards Association – Public Affairs and Community Engagement Representatives (Bay Area, LA North East, Orange, San Bernardino, San Joaquin North)
- Training: PDI (Political Data Inc.): weekly online trainings of various skill levels
BUDGET CONFERENCE COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP:
- Asm. Phil Ting (D) (chair)
- Sen. Holly Mitchell (D) (co-chair)
- Sen. John Moorlach (R)
- Sen. Jim Nielsen (R)
- Sen. Richard Roth (D)
- Sen. Nancy Skinner (D)
- Asm. Joaquin Arambula (D)
- Asm. Richard Bloom (D)
- Asm. Rocky Chávez (R)
- Asm. Jay Obernolte (R)
LICENSE PLATES: In the Bee, Tony Bizjak reports that California's new voluntary digital license plates are hitting the streets, at a cost of $699 and a monthly fee of around $7.
#CAKEDAY: Happy birthday to Beth Miller and Lynn Suter!
- Former Los Angeles County Supervisors Zev Yaroslavsky and Yvonne Burke discuss the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in this exclusive interview: https://vimeo.com/270776096
- WE CAN HELP MAKE YOUR LOBBYING EFFORTS MORE EFFECTIVE. Numerous nonprofits and private sector organizations, lobbying firms, trade associations and government entities consider Capitol Seminars their No.1 training resource -- for new lobbyists, support staff, executives who hire and manage lobbyists. Conducted by 43-year Capitol veteran Ray LeBov, our Lobbying 101 & 201 seminars offer you comprehensive coverage of the Legislative process, along with best practices for Legislative, Budget, and Regulatory Agency advocacy, Lobbying the Administration, and Media Strategies. You’ll refer to the extensive curriculum materials long after the seminars are over. Next dates: June 7-8, July 26-27, October 4-5. More information / registration: www.capitolseminars.net or 916-442-5009.
- The McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, in Sacramento offers the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and the Master of Public Policy (MPP) degrees to both full-time students and those earning a professional degree while working. Our focus on the interconnections of law, policy, management, and leadership provides unique competencies for your success. Students gain a deep understanding of statutory interpretation and regulatory processes critical to modern governance. Learn more at go.mcgeorge.edu/publicpolicy or contact us at email@example.com.
Cal State Student Association seeks Legislative Policy Analyst
The position is responsible for researching and analyzing legislative policy issues. Additionally, the position will be responsible for externally representing the organization in legislative meetings and committees. Lastly, the position will be responsible for advising our board of directors and legislative affairs committee. For more information and to apply, visit http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://apptrkr.com/1226018
Finance & Operations Manager
California YIMBY is looking for an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Finance & Operations Manager to manage day-to-day finances and operations, act as internal authority on grant requirements, and create and track annual budget. Reports directly to the CEO. $65,000-$85,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/finopsmanager for details.
California YIMBY is seeking an innovative, resourceful, inspired individual to serve as the Digital Director to create digital program to tell story of CA's housing crisis. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/digdirector for details.
California YIMBY is seeking a motivated, tenacious, creative individual to serve as the Organizing Director to conceive large scale organizing strategy and develop, write and implement a comprehensive strategic organizing plan. Reports directly to the Chief Advocacy Officer. $75,000-$90,000/year DOE + benefits. http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/r.html?s=n&l=http://cayim.by/orgdirector for details.
- Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager to work across multiple teams providing management, coordination, and support needed to execute programs and initiatives. Ideal candidate is a self-starter, good writer, client service oriented, has an eye for detail, and believes in California’s local health plans’ mission. Salary BOE. Details.
- Attorney General's Office is seeking a subject matter expert in areas such as civil law, criminal law, public rights and law enforcement. The Advocate represents the Department of Justice on legislative matters before the State Legislature. The job can be viewed here.
Imprenta Communications Group Seeks Account Coordinator to Join Our Sacramento Office. Successful candidate will have 1-3 years previous experience working at a public relations agency, on political campaigns, political staff, or corporate marketing. The ideal candidate is a hard-working, professional, and dedicated individual seeking to empower communities of color. Spanish or Asian language fluency preferred. Full job description can be viewed here. Submit resume and cover letter to Ken Tiratira at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
- Randle Communications is seeking a highly-motivated communications professional to support the firm’s growing public affairs practice. Ideal candidate has three – five years legislative/campaign experience, strong communication skills, is detail-oriented and a self-starter. Salary BOE. E-mail resume, references, cover letter: email@example.com
- Save The Bay seeks a Political Director to lead strategic advocacy campaigns that protect and restore San Francisco Bay. Supervise policy team, mobilize our grassroots network, build partnerships with diverse interests and communities, and integrate advocacy objectives throughout the organization. Save The Bay is the largest organization working to protect and restore the Bay for people and wildlife, with more than 50 years of accomplishments. Our downtown Oakland office is a great work environment with excellent transit access. This position reports to the Executive Director and serves on the senior management team. Full description at www.saveSFbay.org/jobs.
Policy Committees and Programs Coordinator – The Council of State Governments, West (Sacramento, CA)
The Policy Committees and Programs Coordinator contributes to the organization's policy objectives and engagement with regional policy-makers and other stakeholders. This includes coordinating and providing policy committee and program support, as well as providing support of the organization's international engagement efforts, particularly between CSG West members and policy stakeholders in Mexico and Canada. Individual must be bilingual (English/Spanish), with a high proficiency to read, write and speak in both languages. CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled) csg.applicantpro.com/jobs/765554.html
- GRE waived for qualifying government & legislative staffers to apply to the Pepperdine School of Public Policy’s Master of Public Policy program, considered the most unique policy graduate program in the country. Specialization tracks, including State & Local Policy, allow students to personalize their policy studies. Current State & Local Policy courses include, “Advanced Topics in Politics and Budgeting,” “Public Policy for Criminal Justice, Cannabis, and other Drugs,” “Permissions Development and the Environment,” and “Leadership through Public Engagement.” Find out more about this Top 10 in the West/Top 5 in California MPP program located in Malibu: publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/masters-6
The California Attractions and Parks Association (CAPA), was founded in 2004 as a trade organization representing the theme, amusement and water park industry in California. The sole CAPA employee is the Executive Director, whose efforts are focused on forming political coalitions, leveraging the legal, political and operational talent of its members, and supporting or opposing relevant legislation and regulation. Minimum 8 years serving on legislative staff, as a Capitol lobbyist, in-house government relations professional or equivalent experience. Resumes must be submitted to CAPA Chairperson Kris Reyes at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, April 27. View full job description here.
- BREATHE LA is seeking a dynamic, creative and organized Manager of Public Policy and Advocacy to manage the organization’s legislative and government affairs, as well as advocacy campaigns and community outreach. This position is full-time and based in Los Angeles. Salary DOE. Details here: breathela.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Mgr-of-Pub-Pol-Advocacy-Job-Description.pdf
- SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
This position is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our infrastructure and engage our members to be a powerful force at their worksites, in the legislative process, in the community and at the ballot box. Proven track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com/.
SEIU-UHW – Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
This position is responsible for working in close collaboration with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for members participation in all areas of the political program and hard dollar fundraising. Also provides staff support to our Political Action Advisory Committee, in collaboration with representational staff. Candidate will train and mentor COPE chairs and member activists to help them achieve political goals. Proven fundraising track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com.
Add your classified for $40/week.TOP HEADLINES ON AROUNDTHECAPITOL.COM AS OF 12:00PM