If you don't see images in this message, click "Display Images" or the equivalent.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Receive this as a forward? Get the Nooner in your e-mail box
Become a Nooner Premium subscriber to access exclusive election analysis and back end data. | Follow @scottlay
Advertise in The Nooner to reach over 8,000 readers
REMINDER: My firstname.lastname@example.org email address is still in DNS hell. email@example.com (where that other email usually goes anyway) is working just fine.
AURAL PLEASURE: On the California Politics Podcast, John Myers and Melanie Mason talk about the campaign ads of the season and the conclusion of the sexual harassment investigation of Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia.
Happy Sunday! Beautiful chilly morning out there. Farmers' market was wonderful this morning. In addition to the regular bounty, the blueberries and cherries showed up, and asparagus and sugar snap peas are still here. I should be set for the week.
Things seemed to go well in cray-cray downtown Sac yesterday with the Tour of California on foot coinciding with commencements, and on foot it seems as such.
PRISONS: For CALmatters, Dan Walters writes that, while inmate population has gone down, the costs of running the state's prisons system continue to go up.
The biggest reason is that the system is still housing more inmates than its designed capacity and, therefore, no prisons have been closed. Fundamental operating costs, including the number of prison guards and their ever-increasing salaries and fringe benefits, especially pensions, are unaffected.
- Education: Pepperdine Masters of Public Policy (GRE waived for legislative staffers)
- Education: UOP/McGeorge School of Law: MPP/MPA (full-time or part-time, 3 miles from the Capitol)
- Education: Capitol Seminars - learn how to lobby effectively
- Event: California Council on Science and Technology policy briefing
- Job: Attorney General's Office is seeking a subject matter expert (advocate)
- Job: Cargill Director of Governmental Relations (Newark-Bay Area)
- Job: Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager
- Job: Randle Communications
- Job: The California Dental Association seeks full-time Associate Legislative Advocate
- Job: Probolsky Research - Research Analyst - Public Opinion (Orange County)
- Job: Save the Bay Political Director
- Job: SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
- Job: SEIU-UHW -- Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
- Job: CA School Boards Association – Public Affairs and Community Engagement Representatives (Bay Area, LA North East, Orange, San Bernardino, San Joaquin North)
- Training: PDI (Political Data Inc.): weekly online trainings of various skill levels
#CAKEDAY: Happy birthday to Cat Shieh!
- Local Health Plans of California seeks a Program Manager to work across multiple teams providing management, coordination, and support needed to execute programs and initiatives. Ideal candidate is a self-starter, good writer, client service oriented, has an eye for detail, and believes in California’s local health plans’ mission. Salary BOE. Details.
- CCST Expert Briefing: “From Drips of Data to Pools of Information: Designing an Open Water Data Platform That Works for California” Thursday, May 17th, 12:00pm-1:00pm in Capitol Room 115. Hosted by the California Council on Science and Technology (CCST). What is an open water data platform? How can it be used to inform California policy? Join us for a conversation with experts from UC Water, the Water Foundation, and the Dept. of Water Resources to discuss the implementation, use cases, and timeline of the Open and Transparent Water Data Act, AB 1755 (Dodd, 2016). Organized in partnership with the office of Senator Dodd and moderated by Dr. Susan Hubbard, CCST Council Member and Associate Laboratory Director at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. To receive a to-go lunch box following the briefing, RSVP by Noon on May 16th to Puneet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attorney General's Office is seeking a subject matter expert in areas such as civil law, criminal law, public rights and law enforcement. The Advocate represents the Department of Justice on legislative matters before the State Legislature. The job can be viewed here.
Imprenta Communications Group Seeks Account Coordinator to Join Our Sacramento Office. Successful candidate will have 1-3 years previous experience working at a public relations agency, on political campaigns, political staff, or corporate marketing. The ideal candidate is a hard-working, professional, and dedicated individual seeking to empower communities of color. Spanish or Asian language fluency preferred. Full job description can be viewed here. Submit resume and cover letter to Ken Tiratira at email@example.com for consideration.
- Randle Communications is seeking a highly-motivated communications professional to support the firm’s growing public affairs practice. Ideal candidate has three – five years legislative/campaign experience, strong communication skills, is detail-oriented and a self-starter. Salary BOE. E-mail resume, references, cover letter: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Save The Bay seeks a Political Director to lead strategic advocacy campaigns that protect and restore San Francisco Bay. Supervise policy team, mobilize our grassroots network, build partnerships with diverse interests and communities, and integrate advocacy objectives throughout the organization. Save The Bay is the largest organization working to protect and restore the Bay for people and wildlife, with more than 50 years of accomplishments. Our downtown Oakland office is a great work environment with excellent transit access. This position reports to the Executive Director and serves on the senior management team. Full description at www.saveSFbay.org/jobs.
Policy Committees and Programs Coordinator – The Council of State Governments, West (Sacramento, CA)
The Policy Committees and Programs Coordinator contributes to the organization's policy objectives and engagement with regional policy-makers and other stakeholders. This includes coordinating and providing policy committee and program support, as well as providing support of the organization's international engagement efforts, particularly between CSG West members and policy stakeholders in Mexico and Canada. Individual must be bilingual (English/Spanish), with a high proficiency to read, write and speak in both languages. CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled) csg.applicantpro.com/jobs/765554.html
LOBBYING SUCCESS IS JUST A COUPLE OF CLICKS AWAY. Capitol Seminars offers you a cost-effective, comprehensive overview of what it takes to be more successful at lobbying in California. Conducted by 43-year Capitol veteran Ray LeBov, these invaluable seminars cover the processes, touch points and best practices of Legislative, Budget and Regulatory advocacy, Lobbying the Administration and Media Strategies. You'll learn how state government "really works" from an insider's perspective. Next dates are June 7-8 and July 26-27 at McGeorge School of Law and Policy. Information / registration: www.capitolseminars.net or 916 442 5009. Note: If you tried to register between March 24-30 and could not access our site, please try again. The bug has been squashed!
- GRE waived for qualifying government & legislative staffers to apply to the Pepperdine School of Public Policy’s Master of Public Policy program, considered the most unique policy graduate program in the country. Specialization tracks, including State & Local Policy, allow students to personalize their policy studies. Current State & Local Policy courses include, “Advanced Topics in Politics and Budgeting,” “Public Policy for Criminal Justice, Cannabis, and other Drugs,” “Permissions Development and the Environment,” and “Leadership through Public Engagement.” Find out more about this Top 10 in the West/Top 5 in California MPP program located in Malibu: publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/masters-6
The California Attractions and Parks Association (CAPA), was founded in 2004 as a trade organization representing the theme, amusement and water park industry in California. The sole CAPA employee is the Executive Director, whose efforts are focused on forming political coalitions, leveraging the legal, political and operational talent of its members, and supporting or opposing relevant legislation and regulation. Minimum 8 years serving on legislative staff, as a Capitol lobbyist, in-house government relations professional or equivalent experience. Resumes must be submitted to CAPA Chairperson Kris Reyes at email@example.com no later than Friday, April 27. View full job description here.
- BREATHE LA is seeking a dynamic, creative and organized Manager of Public Policy and Advocacy to manage the organization’s legislative and government affairs, as well as advocacy campaigns and community outreach. This position is full-time and based in Los Angeles. Salary DOE. Details here: breathela.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Mgr-of-Pub-Pol-Advocacy-Job-Description.pdf
TOP HEADLINES ON AROUNDTHECAPITOL.COM AS OF 12:00PM
- SEIU-UHW – Regional Political Organizer (Los Angeles)
This position is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our infrastructure and engage our members to be a powerful force at their worksites, in the legislative process, in the community and at the ballot box. Proven track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com/.
SEIU-UHW – Political Capacity Organizer (Oakland or Sacramento)
This position is responsible for working in close collaboration with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for members participation in all areas of the political program and hard dollar fundraising. Also provides staff support to our Political Action Advisory Committee, in collaboration with representational staff. Candidate will train and mentor COPE chairs and member activists to help them achieve political goals. Proven fundraising track record is a must. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. For more information on the position and to apply please visit our candidate portal at seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com.