THE NOONER for April 17, 2014
jump to headlines
THE CASH REPORT:
- LAO (April 16): Month-to-Date PIT Withholding, Collections and Refunds: $6.151 billion. (56.6% of budgeted projection)
- Controller (April 16): Big 3 Revenues: $7.3 billion (55.9% of budgeted projection)
LAO: "Next few days will be very important. Last year, during the rest of the month after April 16, the state booked an additional $7 billion in total net PIT collections. Most of those dollars materialized within a few days of April 16."
California April Income Tax Collections Trail Last Year's [Michael Marois @ Bloomberg] - Of course, 6% down in the month of April would be 9.5% above budget expectations, as April 2013 was destorted by Prop 30's retroactivity.
$$$: The March 31 totals for congressional candidates should all be posted now on the all districts page and on the individual district pages.
Here are the candidates with the ten highest cash-on-hand figures as of March 31:
|ISSA, DARRELL E
|NUNES, DEVIN G
|THOMPSON, MIKE MR.
|RUIZ, RAUL DR.
CA33 (Coastal Los Angeles): Who is David Kanuth and how did he raise all that money? [Sharon McNary @ SCPR]
PATRIOT, NOT POLITICIAN, NOR APPARENTLY A PEOPLE-PERSON: As we first started seeing on Twitter late yesterday, gubernatorial candidate Tim Donnelly reportedly fired his Capitol chief of staff Alex Vassar yesterday. Vassar returned to the Capitol to Donnelly's office last August after being recruited away from Board of Equalization member George Runner's office. Vassar, who publishes the JoinCalifornia.com compendium of California election history and the OneVoter.org political history blog, is a classy, informed guy who deserves a soft landing.
The Bee's David Siders writes "In an email Wednesday, [former campaign manager Jennifer] Kerns said Vassar's firing "represents a continuation of poor judgment" by Donnelly."
ATTN NEEL KASHKARI: If you can broker a deal to keep Sriracha on our shelves with a "Made in California" logo, you might have a chance at this thing.
SUNSHINE DAY: Governor Brown Calls Special Session to Strengthen Rainy Day Fund
CA Fwd releases report on how to build stronger budget reserve
AD16 (Tri-Valley): The independent expenditure for Tim Sbranti is up to $686,000. Sbranti is running against fellow Democrat Steve Glazer, an adviser to Jerry Brown who is challenging labor positions. Dublin teacher and mayor Sbranti was the chair of CTA's Political Involvement Committee until last fall, when he had to step aside to make way for the "independent" expenditure.
Speaking of Glazer, Gary Cohn writes of the "rise of corporate Democrats" in Capital and Main.
THE IE: CA Teachers Association Weighs For Inland Empire GOP Candidates Glen Miller and Gary Jeandron [Jon Fleischman @ FlashReport]
- DO YOU LIKE MYSTERY NOVELS & CA POLITICS? Long-time children's health advocate KRIS CALVIN has written a Sacramento-based "entertaining whodunnit told with humor and intellect." ONE MURDER MORE features a lobbyist as the amateur sleuth, while the cast of suspects includes two Governors (one past, one present) & a Senate Fellow! Advance order now & support through crowdsourcing at www.inkshares.com/projects/one-murder-more
- CA LATINO CAUCUS INSTITUTE (CLCI) 501 c 3 FUNDRAISER May 8, 2014 - 6pm – 9pm WINE WOMEN & WISDOM: Honoring the Latinas of the CA Latino Legislative Caucus (Culinary Institute of America Napa). CONFIRMED Secretary Anna Caballero; Senator Lara, Assemblymembers Talamantes-Eggman, Garcia, Campos, Quirk-Silva, Gonzalez, Bocanegra, Hernandez and Salas. TIX & Sponsorships available: www.cllcipp.org Email firstname.lastname@example.org INFO Call 323.660.7234.
- Politics, Sex & Cocktails! Best PAC fundraiser ever. Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California celebrates 40 years with Honorary Chairs Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez and Senate Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg. When PPAC started in 1974, Jerry Brown was Governor, polyester and platform shoes were in fashion, and Roe v. Wade was a year old. Sponsorship/tickets: www.ppactionca.org/40years. Lauren Evans, (916) 446-5247, ext. 116. Paid for by Protecting Choice in California, a project of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California (555 Capitol Mall, Suite 510 Sacramento, CA 95814) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.
- Corporate & individual sponsorships are available for the 7th Annual Assembly Veteran of the Year Luncheon, scheduled for Wednesday, June 25th (Sacramento Convention Center). The event is co-sponsored by Assemblymembers Pérez, Quirk-Silva & Chávez. All Assemblymembers select a veteran to honor from their district. For more information contact: Pete Conaty, 916 492-0550, email@example.com.
- April 22: Rock 'n Restaurants returns to the Crest Theatre on K Street. 5 PM hosted reception and 7 PM concert featuring Ivy Levan. This event closes out the California Restaurant Association's annual Lobby Day and benefits the CRA Issues PAC. RSVP required at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. Associate Director of Media Advocacy Western Region. Sacramento. Oversee media advocacy efforts for American Cancer Society’s advocacy affiliate in 13-state region with primary responsibility for executing comprehensive media strategy in California. Minimum 7 years political journalism/communications experience. Min. salary: $73K. Info & application online: www.acscan.org/careers, Job ID: 15911.
- BELLA MODA SALON & SPA (916) 640-0900. 10% off on all services for The Nooner readers! Look your absolute best at Bella Moda Salon & Spa. Professional stylists eager to keep you looking great. Conveniently located on Fulton & Marconi. Support a Local Small Business Today! 2937 Fulton Ave, Sacramento, California, 95821. www.bellamoda916.com
- The fastest, most cost-effective way to learn the legislative process and effective advocacy. Veteran lobbyist Ray LeBov presents his introductory "Lobbying 101" and advanced "Lobbying 201" seminars April 15-16. $250 each. Essential for principals / support staff at lobbying firms, organizations that employ lobbyists, public agencies. Complete info / registration: www.capitolseminars.net or 916 442 5009.
- Confused by all the slate mailers? Tired of having to handle call after call from sales people? Let Navigator Consulting be your guide to slates! Instead of selling slates, we'll help you to buy