It's been a short night and I need to drive down to Fresno. Here's some quick take-aways from last night. Election results are posted on the AroundTheCapitol district pages.
- CD02: Jared Huffman clocks the Dem field and gets a walk in November against Rep Dan Roberts
- John Garamendi pulls in 47,258 votes to Kim Vann's 22,336, likely dropping CD03 from the NRCC's November target list
- In CD15, Pete Stark has to be sweating, with 39,000 votes for opponents against his 28,000. Eric Swalwell advances.
- Democrats can't be happy in CD21, where David Valadao exceeded the combined vote of John Hernandez and Blong Xiong by 5,000 votes. Hernandez advances.
- In CD24, Republicans pulled over 64,000 votes to Lois Capps's 58,298. Abel Maldonado survives to November
- CD26: Tony Strickland 44.2%, Julia Brownley 26.8% and Linda Parks 18.5%. Aside from turnout difference, Brownley needs to capture ALL of Parks's vote to win in November.
- CD30: Two Jews, One District continues in November. Sherman outpolls Berman by 7,500 votes
- DISASTER: Democrats lost a huge opportunity in CD31, with Republicans Gary Miller and Bob Dutton advancing to the runoff. Justin Kim pulled more than 7,000 votes from Pete Aguilar, pushing one of the few DCCC stars this cycle to third.
- CD47: Lowenthal v. DeLong
- That IE in CD51 by the Paskenta tribe paid off--Michael Crimmins came in second, knocking out Denise Ducheny, and giving Juan Vargas a clear path in November.
- In CD52, Scott Peters has second place by a thread, up 700 votes on Lori Saldana.
- SD05 - Berryhill v. Galgiani in November, with a tough race for Dems. 54,700 total votes for Reps and 38,500 for Galgiani.
- SD27 - Fran Pavley - 49.4%, Todd Zink - 50.6%.
- SD31 - Steinberg pulls out a victory for Richard Roth.
- AD58 - Cristina Garcia beats Tom Calderon for second place
- AD66 - Craig Huey beats Nathan Mintz to face off against Al Muratsuchi in November
- AD74 - Allan Mansoor easily pushes Leslie Daigle into third
Significant same party matchups in November:
- CD31 (Miller v. Dutton)
- CD35 (Baca v. McLeod)
- AD05 (Oller v. Bigelow)
- AD47 (Baca, Jr. v. Brown)
- AD67 (Paule v. Melendez)
- AD76 (Chavez v. Hodges)
Too close to call:
- CD08 - Paul Cook (R) 10,682, Gregg Imus (R) - 10,353, Jackie Conaway D) - 10,163, Phil Liberatore (R) - 10,144
- CD52 - For second against Bilbray: Scott Peters - 24,531, Lori Saldana - 23,886
- AD06 - Beth Gaines gets first, and Dem Regy Bronner has 521 vote lead over Rep Andy Pugno
- AD08 - Ken Cooley gets first, and Rep Peter Tateishi has 657 vote lead over Rep Barbara Ortega
- AD46 - Adrin Nazarian v. ??? (Brian Johnson - 6,691, Andrew Lachman - 6,359, Jay Stern (R) - 6,608)
- WOW: AD50 - Betsy Butler - 12,519, Richard Bloom 12,417, Torie Osborn - 11,744, Brad Torgan - 11,730
- AD57 - Ian Calderon has a 231 vote lead over Rudy Bermudez for second place
- Victoria Rusnak spent over $41 per vote of her own money to come in fifth in AD41. Chris Holden easily takes first and will walk in November against Tea Party activist Donna Lowe.
- AD48:Incumbent Roger Hernandez makes top-two in second place against Republican Joe Gardner. Non-Hernandez vote was 15,600 to Hernandez's 12,000.
Have a great day!